Tuesday 1 March 2011

Oscars Past and Present

I'm sure many of you would have probably been flicking through pictures of red carpet arrivals from Sunday night's  83rd Academy Awards (better known to you and me as the Oscars).  I know many articles will focus on who got their style 'right' or 'wrong' but for me it's more about the celebration of one of the most prestigious awards ceremonies attended by the most famous actors in the world.   

In contrast with London Fashion Week where I appreciate originality and unusual styling, red carpet fashion for me should be more idealistic and enchanting, something that Marchesa (fast becoming one of my favourite british designers) has perfected to a 't'.  I seem to have been drawn to the pale fabrics and delicate materials which are similar to styles from the 40's and 50's (surprise suprise) so take a look at a few of my favourites from Sunday night:


Michelle Williams in Chanel


Mandy Moore in Monique Lhuillier


Halle Berry in Marchesa


Hailee-Steinfeld in Marchesa


Aishwarya Rai in Armani
 I thought it would be rude not to take a look back at the styles back in the 40's, 50's and 60's a time when beauty, style and glamour was unrivalled and a lovely way to finish this post.

Enjoy

xoxo

Grace Kelly and Marlon Brando 1954

Elizabeth Taylor 1960 - Absolutely stunning

Ginger Rogers and James Stewart 1941



The beautiful Marilyn Monroe 1951



 

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree the nude dresses with shimmer really looked ethereal on the red carpet, no one looks more polished and delicate than Halle Berry. But although that's the style that I usually go for, especially in saris, for me two outfits stole the show- Cate Blanchett in the Givenchy Couture with the structured top and her pale hair and Anne Hathaway in the electric blue Giorgio Armani Privé. But Cate I wanted to absorb. I also liked the lavender of Mila Kunis's dress, looked floaty and delicate, but I didn't like the style so much. And also, does Ginger Rogers's dress above seem similar to Scarlet's this year?

    ReplyDelete